Mineral Point was founded in 1827. By 1830, Mineral Point was where the action was. Mineral Point was the County seat, lead mining center, leading metropolis of the entire area it was all happening in Mineral Point.
As the natural divide between the Wisconsin River and the Pecatonica River Watersheds, the Military Ridge has been a preferred overland route across this region of what is now Wisconsin for hundreds of years. Bison, French explorers, and American soldiers during the Blackhawk War have all used the naturally level and obstacle-free pathway.