Hiding quietly in the rolling hills of Wyoming Valley is perhaps the most significant work of Frank Lloyd Wright, famed architect and luminary of the 20th century.
Wright was born in nearby Richland Center in 1867 and spent his childhood summers at his uncle James Lloyd Jones' farm just outside of Spring Green, now known as Aldebaran Farm.
He returned to the valley in 1911 to build his own home, Taliesin (pronounced Tally eh sin), after concluding one of his most productive periods in Oak Park, Illinois. Wright's public life had grown turbulent and he sought refuge in the peace of his Wisconsin home. Wright was heavily influenced by his travels abroad and incorporated Italian and Japanese themes into his own brand of "organic" architecture.
Modern scholars consider Taliesin to be his most personal and revealing work. The 600-acre property includes some of his earliest work. Wright continued to adapt, modify and experiment with the buildings and grounds up until his death in 1959.
The site includes six Wright structures: Romeo and Juliet Windmill (1897), Hillside Home School (1902), Tan-y-deri House (1907), Taliesin (1911, 1914, 1925), Midway Farm (1930s, 1940s), and Riverview Terrace (1953) which now serves as the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center. The entire property was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
In response to mounting public concern over the deterioration of Taliesin, Taliesin Preservation, Inc. (TPI) was formed in 1990 to preserve the buildings and grounds. Much of the basic preservation work is in progress, although TPI predicts the entire project to require several years and several million dollars.
TPI also hosts public tours of the buildings and grounds. All tours begin at the Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center. Visitors may enjoy an introductory video, exhibits on the life and work of Frank Lloyd Wright, a complete architectural bookstore and gift shop, and cafe with an outstanding view of the Wisconsin River.
For information on guided tours of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin or the preservation effort currently underway, contact Taliesin Preservation, Inc.
"Taliesin" and "Frank Lloyd Wright" are registered trademarks of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
5607 County Road C Spring Green, WI 53588